Thursday, August 19, 2010

Djokovic reaches third round in Cincinnati

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Novak Djokovic of Serbia hits a return to compatriot Viktor Troicki during their second round match at the Cincinnati Masters tennis tournament in Cincinnati, August 18, 2010.


NEW YORK, Aug. 18 -- Novak Djokovic defeated fellow Serb Viktor Troicki 6-3, 7-5 in the second round of the Cincinnati Masters on Wednesday.

The third-ranked player is trying to reach the tournament final for the third consecutive year.

"I did have a decrease of the level in the second set," Djokovic said. "It was a very ugly set with a lot of unforced errors on both sides, a lot of double faults. I was struggling to hit the ball really well. In the important moments when I needed to break, I did. It's good to go through in straight sets."

Djokovic will next face Argentina's David Nalbandian, a winner two weeks ago at Washington. The South American trailed 4-5 when American John Isner retired from their match.

The Serbian star continues to work on his serve, which was a major weapon in his run to his lone Grand Slam crown at the 2008 Australian Open.

"It really gets up and down so it's not what I want, but I'm slowly getting on the old serve that I had," Djokovic said. "I had a good motion. When I won the Grand Slam I was serving really well, around 200 k/hr and a lot of precision.

"These days I'm struggling a little bit, but it's a mental thing. It's going to get to me sooner or later."

Djokovic was overtaken by 16-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer in the rankings this week.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Viktor Troicki of Serbia hits a return to compatriot Novak Djokovic of Serbia during their second round match at the Cincinnati Masters tennis tournament in Cincinnati, August 18, 2010.
(Reuters)

No comments:

Post a Comment