Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Assou-Ekotto slams Tottenham exit talk

The 28-year-old was quoted earlier on Tuesday as suggesting he will leave White Hart Lane if they fail to make the top four, a suggestion the full-back has since moved to rebuff

 


 



Benoit Assou-Ekotto has denied reports he will look to leave Tottenham in the summer if they fail to secure a place in next season's Champions League.

The Cameroon international, who signed from Ligue 1 side Lens back in 2006, was quoted on Tuesday as saying he will move from White Hart Lane in the summer if Spurs fail to qualify for the Europe's elite tournament.

Spurs’ chances of a top four place remain on a knife-edge going in to the final Premier League weekend, as Chelsea could deny their London rivals a place in next year’s tournament should they win the final of the tournament in Munich on May 19.

In an official statement released by the club, Assou-Ekotto said: "I want to take this opportunity to clarify some comments that have appeared in the media today.

"I am fully committed to Tottenham Hotspur and proud to represent the Club in any match, whatever the competition.

"I am very much enjoying my time here. It is a wonderful Club with great support and I am looking forward to recovering from my injury in time for next season."

Earlier on Tuesday, the full-back was quoted as saying to France Football: "Yes. All players want to play in this competition. A few months ago, I said I never wanted to play in the Europa League because that competition is useless.

"I have a gentleman's agreement with the chairman. As he is a man of his word, I hope that will make things easier if a great club comes in.

"Everything is possible," he continued. "When I met the chairman last January he told me that, if a club bigger than Tottenham came in for me, he wouldn't necessarily be against my departure.

"If there is a change at Tottenham - some more money is made available - I wouldn't be against the idea of staying, but otherwise I'll try to move forwards, as I did when I left Lens."



Source : Goal.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment