Friday, May 25, 2012

Vertonghen willing to wait for 'amazing' Tottenham move

The Belgian centre-back says he is in limbo while Ajax and Spurs continue to negotiate a fee to take him to his preferred destination of White Hart Lane

 


 



EXCLUSIVE
By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

Jan Vertonghen has his heart set on joining “amazing” Tottenham and has admitted he will have to be patient to secure his dream move.

Vertonghen told Goal.com on Thursday night that he is in limbo while Spurs chairman Daniel Levy continues to negotiate a fee with Ajax.

“I’m just waiting for it to be done,” said Vertonghen. “I understand the situation and I have to be patient. I am not at the Euros but I hope it will be done soon after.

“There are still other clubs interested but I will wait. Tottenham is an amazing club and are the team I like to join the most.”  

The Belgian centre-back has already agreed personal terms with Spurs after a trip to London in which he was shown around the club’s new training centre in Enfield and was a guest at their last match of the season, a 2-0 home win over Fulham.

However, the transfer has hit a snag over the Dutch club’s £12.1 million asking price, with Tottenham unwilling to offer more than £9.6m for the defender who has just a year remaining on his contract.

“I am not aware if Ajax are asking too much or not,” added Vertonghen. “I don’t know what they are asking. I am not part of the negotiation.

“Mr Levy was in Amsterdam on Monday and is talking to Ajax and my manager. When they have an agreement they will let me know and I can move.”

The 25-year-old, who was named Eredivisie Player of the Year for his contribution to Ajax’s title triumph, says his desire to move to White Hart Lane has not been changed by events in Munich on Saturday night, when Chelsea’s Champions League triumph relegated Spurs to the Europa League next season.

“Does it matter that Tottenham are in the Europa League? No, not that much,” said Vertonghen. “You don’t just join for one season.”

Spurs made an official move for the Belgian at the start of this month, having failed with an attempt to sign him in January. Vertonghen has chosen Spurs as his preferred destination ahead of other suitors, including Arsenal and Newcastle United.

The centre-back is preparing to captain Belgium in a friendly against Montenegro on Friday night and will then make the trip to Wembley to face England in a friendly eight days later.


 

 

Source : Goal.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment